Thursday, July 21, 2011

All Hail the Lizard King!

All hail the Lizard King! What the lizard wants the lizard gets.

Who is the lizard king? Why it's you of course! Each of us has a lizard brain inside of us, that primitive protective psyche housed deep in our brains. The lizard takes over whenever our fears are triggered. You can talk all you want about living your personal calling, but the lizard will do whatever it takes to nix the idea. No love, generosity or creativity exists in the lizard brain, only survival. The lizard is ancient and intractable. The lizard always wins.

I've been on a post-surgical sabbatical from work over the last six weeks. I've had time to let go of work while still having the safety net of an income. The lizard struggled for the first few weeks before quieting down. Then it happened - my creativity unfurled. I began a self-inquiry into what makes me happy. I remembered how much I like to write. I wrote a poem for a friend. I journaled. I began taking better care of my health and wellbeing.

You'd think the lizard would be into that last item, but you'd be surprised how the lizard chirps out, "we don't have time for that, we have to workworkwork!"

The struggle between good and evil might be better stated as the struggle between my higher self and the lizard. When I take time to breathe, to center myself in my heart and listen, I sooth the lizard and open a door. When I release the tightness in my body through movement, I bring my focus out of the lizard brain into my higher brain. When I allow myself time without the distraction of the lizard I can answer my calling and fulfill my purpose.

What do you do to overcome your lizard brain?

Spirit, help me to breath. Spirit, help me exhale. Spirit, with each breath bring me into my higher self that I might channel you through my mind and body. Amen.

Majeeda Rosa

P.S. If you want to learn more about the lizard brain and how to work with it, I recommend Seth Godin's Linchpin: are you Indispensible?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think - please comment.