Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Meet my House Guests

I have three house guests I'd like to introduce.  They've been with me...well...forever.
 
Say hello to Mind, Body and Spirit
 
On a daily basis, Mind gets most of my attention - Mind helps me at work.  Mind is often my companion when I read, which I love to do.  Mind likes clever puns and learning.  I'm most comfortable with Mind.  If I had a picture of Mind, it would be that of a young student with a slightly furrowed brow, one who is somewhat distracted except for whatever has her focus at the moment.
 
Spirit visits me every day, roaming around the house unless I insist that she sit for tea. Spirit knows how to expand my thoughts and patterns.  Spirit helps me reach out to others and connect.  Spirit's power to open me up can be a little intense sometimes.  Her full attention is best savored in smaller doses of consumption.  Spirit is hard to look at directly; her embodiment is of a brightly lit, yet ephemeral, being.
 
Poor Body.  She's the most neglected houseguest.  She's not enchanting like Spirit and not as interesting as Mind.  She's the scullery maid of the three.  She does her essential work of keeping me on this earth, connecting me with human experience.  She provides her intuitive knowing as well as the mechanics of survival.  I've been ignoring her.  I haven't given her credit for years.  Last year at about this time she'd had enough and went on strike.
 
Mind, Spirit and I realized we couldn't cope without her or at least not as well.
 
This year Body's getting the attention she deserves and needs.  Mind is learning to give up some of her time and learning that when Body feels better, Mind works better.  Mind is getting inspired by Leo Babauta at Zen Habits to make small changes and grow into them so that Body can take her rightful place in the house guest triad.  Spirit is giving Body the honoring and nurturing she desperately needs by taking care of her in daily and weekly rituals.  
 
Me?  I'm working at listening.
 
How do you treat your "house guests"?
 
Majeeda Rosa
Just Be
 

1 comment:

  1. Spot-on! Please keep up with your wonderfully insightful posts xx

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think - please comment.