Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Why Not Now?

A few words to ponder from my dear friend Wren:

More than 20 years ago, a very influential person told me that I spent too much time living in the future.  It has taken me all of these years to understand what he meant.  
 
I have generally lived each day an average of five to ten years in a future state of mind – catastrophizing my life away.  It’s time to catch up, to act my age so to speak.
 
I care very much about what quality of life I will live in my old age, which gets closer by the minute – more future living, but I caught myself!  I understand, though, the wisdom of living the age I am this very day.  The wisdom, too, of walking though each minute of today, aware that each successive minute (or fraction thereof) that I live is all that there is of a life lived presently.

I can plan for the future, as Eckhart Tolle says in the Power of Now, but such planning is done in the present.  
 
What time do you have?

My dear Papa, help me to be mindful of each precious moment and fully experience each as the gift it is. Let the future unfold in your design, as it will. Amen.

Wren

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think - please comment.